Table of Contents
We know LED light therapy can effectively treat an array of skin conditions, though the best LED face masks are the most convenient given it’s a hands-free treatment.
According to board-certified dermatologist Dr. Melanie Palm, the treatment works through different wavelengths of LED light to penetrate the skin at different depths to effectively combat acne, inflammation, swelling, signs of aging, collagen production, and even minor wounds. Keep in mind that these work best to supplement a well-rounded routine of in-office treatments, a thorough skin-care routine, and consistent use. “For example, someone with acne-prone skin might consider adding bacteria-killing blue light therapy into their blemish-fighting skin-care routine, which would already include steps like cleansing, toning, and using acne-fighting serums formulated with retinol or AHAs/BHAs,” advises Palm.
How to Choose an LED Face Mask
When you choose the right LED face mask, consider what you’re looking to treat. “Acne-prone individuals would benefit from blue light, those more concerned with anti-aging or psoriasis would benefit from red light therapy, and those with hyperpigmentation or minor scarring would benefit from green light,” she explains, continuing that one should ideally use the mask three to four times per week for best results. Palm instructs to avoid harsh or over-exfoliating products while using LED; rather, reach for gentle, moisturizing salves. While the advanced LED lights might feel intimidating, she explains that light therapy is considered safe with very little risk of overdoing the treatment, just opt for an FDA-cleared device, follow the instructions, and watch for any signs of irritation.
That said, read on to discover the best LED face masks to supercharge your skin-care regimen.
The Dermatologist Pick: Dr. Dennis Gross DRx SpectraLite FaceWare Pro LED Light Therapy Device
- Why We Love It: Not only does this LED mask from dermatologist Dr. Dennis Gross (who counts celebrities Rachel Zegler and Vogue editors as fans) standout amongst his efficacious lineup of products, it’s one of Palm’s picks, too. “This mask is pretty powerful and offers both blue and red light therapy,” she notes. “This hands-free mask also sits flush against the skin, making it easy to use.”
- More to Know: The mask offers three treatment modes—red light for signs of aging like dark spots and wrinkles, blue light for acne, and a combination of the two for multitasking—to rejuvenate skin in one three-minute treatment.
The Inflammation Reducer: The Light Salon Boost LED Face Mask
- Why We Love It: When Nathalie Emmanuel walked us through her guide to healing breakouts, we saw the British actor pull out The Light Salon’s LED mask to treat her skin before makeup. “I found that this has really helped with the inflammation that I get and it kind of helps reduce it much faster,” she explained,
- More to Know: This device promises to renew your complexion in a ten-minute treatment, with the ability to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, control breakouts, plump, brighten, and calm skin. What’s more, the brand believes this helps lower cortisol levels while boosting serotonin and melatonin levels to promote increased feelings of calm and well-being.
The Face and Neck Treatment: Shani Darden by Déesse Pro LED Light Mask
- Why We Love It: Shani Darden’s light therapy mask is a helpful reminder that anything you do to maintain a healthy glow for the face, you should continue to the neck. The device comes with not only the mask but a custom neckpiece and even a handheld controller to personalize your regimen to your liking.
- More to Know: This mask offers red, blue, and near-infrared light therapy to address acne, fine lines, wrinkles, pigmentation, and redness. For best results, Darden advises four times a week to treat acne and five times a week for other concerns, over a six-week period.
The Editor Approved: CurrentBody Skin LED Light Therapy Mask
- Why We Love It: When we asked senior beauty editor Lauren Valenti what she was planning to shop over the holidays, she pointed to CurrentBody’s mask. It’s designed with flexibility in mind to allow maximum amounts of light to penetrate the skin.
- More to Know: Through red and near-infrared light wavelengths, this face mask can boost collagen production and stimulate wound healing while improving skin’s overall texture, tone, and firmness.
The Tailor-Made Treatment: MZ Skin Light-Therapy Golden Facial Treatment Device
- Why We Love It: What sets MZ Skin’s device apart from the rest is not just that it mimics an in-office treatment with Dr. Maryam Zamani, but the FDA-registered mask has five different light settings to choose from.
- More to Know: There is the typical red light for collagen production and reduced inflammation, along with blue light to reduce blemish-causing bacteria. Then, there are colors you may be less familiar with, like green light to target discoloration and broken capillaries, yellow light for redness and circulation, or white infrared light to calm sensitivity for a healthy glow.
The Holistic Healer: Angela Caglia Crystal LED Face Mask
- Why We Love It: Celebrity facialist Angela Caglia’s LED device is adorned with real rose quartz crystals.
- More to Know: Holistic benefits aside, the mask offers red and blue treatment wavelengths to address fine lines, wrinkles, or acne.
The Comfortable Wear: Priori Skincare UnveiLED Mask
- Why We Love It: Lightweight and silicone-based, Priori’s LED mask should seamlessly contour to your face during its 10-minute treatment sans discomfort. This means you can sport the mask while taking some relaxing ‘me time,’ or getting work done around the house.
- More to Know: Delivering red and near-infrared light, this promises to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles for a radiant, glowing complexion.
The Glow Booster: HigherDose Red Light Therapeutic Face Mask
- Why We Love It: Achieving a natural glow is the goal of HigherDose’s silicone LED mask.
- More to Know: Powered by red and near-infrared light, this treatment can be performed for a minimum of ten minutes three to five times per week to revive your complexion. Specifically, it uses infrared heat to quell inflammation and rebuild skin tissue in tandem with red light to stop redness and uneven skin tone in their tracks.
The LED Shield: Skin Gym WrinkLit LED Mask
- Why We Love It: Perhaps a shield design is best suited for your lifestyle. In that case, Skin Gym’s model is for you.
- More to Know: In 15 to 30 minutes, the wireless mask offers red, blue, and orange light therapy to reveal an unmatched glow, reduced redness, and improved acne.